Lammermoor Estate was named after Lammermuir in Scotland, which was Anglicized to Lammermoor. A historical novel, ‘Bride of Lammermoor, written by Sir Walter Scott was published in 1819 and is a story, set in Scotland during the reign of Queen Anne. It was, according to Scott, based on an actual incident in history, of the Stair family of Dalrymple where it recounts a tragic love between the master of Ravenswood and the daughter of Ravenswood’s enemy- Sir William Ashton. Lammermoor Estate was established circa 1930 and the original Estate Manor House is situated at 85 Homestead Drive. It was believed to be a vegetable and cattle farm – like many of the other surrounding farms in the area. An old plough dug out of the spruit 20 years ago, near the main gatehouse of Lammermoor bears testament to its farming history. The Manor house had a commanding view down the valley at that time. As time has passed, trees and other homes in Lammermoor have obscured the view. The Manor house was partially destroyed in a fire during the mid 1980s but the main structure and outbuildings remained intact. The original driveway to ‘Lammermoor Manor House’forms part of Homestead Drive today. At that time, roads leading to the Estate were mere dirt tracks – not like the wonderful tarred roads we see today. The Zwartkop Spruit, running through the Estate was a perennial stream at that time and was teaming with fish. Unmarked graves are dotted around this area and purportedly within the Lammermoor Estate as well. African graves were simply marked with a pile of rocks before and during this period.It is still not known whether they were farm workers or if they date back to earlier periods.
In 1949 Lammermoor Estate was surveyed by Smuts and company and soon after was divided into 108 agricultural holdings. By the mid 1950s and early 1960s the area started to become a popular place for young families wanting an outdoor lifestyle. The prominent Malcomess family, of Malcomess Estate next to Lammermoor even became landowners in Lammermoor. It is reported that Mrs. Malcomess was extremely unhappy to be living next to a gang of hillbillies who rode their tractors up and down the dirt roads on the weekends. To sought out that dilemma Fritz Malcomess purchase 97 Homestead drive from the ‘hillbillies’ to appease the tense situation.
Lammermoor’s first committee was known as the Lammermoor Roads Committee and was formed to deal with the shocking state of the roads at that time. During that period there weren’t any other issues to deal with – which the Committee of today has to face.
Thanks to Hannelore Kallerhof and Fred Herbert for their help in compiling this information Written by Malcolm Sinclair.