The K29 was proposed in 1977 as upgrade to existing P103-2 (Malibongwe Drive, previously Hans Strydom). This was before N1 at Hans Strydom was constructed. At the time there was also no plan for a Hans Strydom / N1 intersection.
Roads you will recognize on the plan include:
- The N14 was then the P158-1
- Lion park road was the K52/P39-1
- P31-1 is northern endpoint of the K29 (at T-junction) in Broederstroom
- The existing tar road between Hans Strydom and Beyers Naude through Elandsdrift is road P1027. Proposed to be replaced by K33, replacing staggered intersection with K29/P103-2 by a fourway intersection just north of Mabron chickens (reflected on northern section ortho map part 1).
The 1977 plan for the K29 consisted of the following sections:
- Report of southern section: from km distance 0.00 at N1-20 to km distance 12.2 at P158-2 prepared by messrs. Jeffares and Green
- Report of northern section: from km distance 12.2 at P158-2 to km distance 34.4 at P31-1 prepared by messrs. Van Wyk and Louw Incorporated